I will probably be late to my own funeral...

... in fact, I've actually asked Eric to have me wheeled down the aisle of whatever church my funeral is held in.  I want him to wait until the service has already begun, and I want to be sitting up and waving.  Yep.  Because I never had it together in this life, so why should I now?

Some things never change.  When Ethan was 4 days old I got a rude awakening as to just how not-together I was going to be as mom to 2 kids.  The hospital I delivered in offers free breastfeeding support groups where you can meet with other moms, weigh your baby before and after feeding to see what they are actually taking in, and there is a licensed lactation consultant there to answer uestions (ok, so we all know what that word is supposed to be, but the letter that words starts with doesn't work ever since I spilled coffee on my laptop.  Or rather, since the toddler I was holding while checking the weather so I would know how to dress my kids for the day spilled my cup of coffee on the keyboard.  But, I digress.)

I went to my first support meeting and actually ran into a friend who had delivered the same day as me at the same hospital.  Good times.  I was met with a noxious diaper upon retrieving my screaming infant son from the carrier.  So, I did what every good mother does.  I looked in my big fat new baby diaper bag for a diaper.  No diaper.  Checked for wipes.   No wipes.  I had to ask my friend, who was a first time mom and was therefore much more prepared than I, and she supplied my needs. 

Flash forward almost 15 months to this past Monday.  I had the kids at the gym and had taken our bag with us.  You know, the "diaper bag" that is not really a diaper bag but I do keep diapers in it.  As well as cups, snacks, books, crayons, and other junk to keep my kids happy while we are away from home.  When I picked the kids up from the gym nursery the very sweet nursery worker informed me, "Um, just so you know.  Ethan had a dirty diaper and there were no diapers in his bag.  There weren't any wipes either.  I put some in there for you.  I'm afraid you might be out and need them and not have them."

Some things never change.

Comments

Popular Posts