Honey and Cream Cheese Filled Fig Muffins

TO DIE FOR!

To make the filling:
3/4 c. low-fat cream or neufchatel cheese
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 tsp. vanilla
Combine well and set aside.

For muffins:
2 c. flour (I used 1 c. white and 1 c. whole wheat)
1 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 egg white
3/4 c. packed brown sugar (I used only 1/2 c.)
1 c. buttermilk (or plain yogurt, sour cream)
1/3 c. olive oil
1 and 1/4 c. figs (my fig source was low so I bought chopped dates)
Combine dry ingredients and whisk.  Combine eggs and brown sugar in another bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute.  Add buttermilk and oil to wet mixture.  Stir to comine and then add to dry ingredients.  Be careful not to overmix.  Fold in figs (or dates!).  Fill muffin cups half-way full.  Add a generous teaspoon of the filling and then add just enough muffin batter to cover.  Filling should not be visible.  This recipe calls for a sprinkle of sugar over the tops of the muffins, but I omitted that step.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.  ENJOY!

I had enough batter for 12 "regular" sized filled muffins and 6 non-filled mini muffins.  This morning Ethan ate a regular size muffin (and an apple!) while Emory stuck to one mini muffin.  Go figure.  But, even the sugar addict in the house (Eric) said that these were good.  So, what a winner.  Very healthy, high in fiber, low in calories, and even satisfies those who prefer junk food!  What a winner.  This recipe came out of an Eating Well magazine that I totally swiped from my parents and am considering subscribing to myself.  I have a few more recipes to try before I make that decision, but I'll let you know....

Comments

Popular Posts