above my kitchen sink....

I keep the following quote:

...it is because the blessing is so great that our little hearts cannot rise to apprehend it; it is as if we cannot believe that Christ, the Almighty One, will in very deed teach and keep us all the day. And yet, this is exactly what He has promised, for without this He cannot really give us rest... Abiding in Jesus is nothing but the giving up of one's self to be ruled and taught and led, and so resting in the arms of everlasting love. (Andrew Murray, Abide in Christ)

The above quote is a reflection on Mathew 11:28, 29 "Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

Why is it above my kitchen sink? Because I don't have a dishwasher and I get just plain weary of washing dishes a million times a day. And I only have one kid! But she still eats 5 times a day between snacks and meals, and my dear hubby comes home for lunch everyday. While it is wonderful to see him, it still generates more dishes than if it were just Emory and I. So, I get weary and my mind begins to wander to those who have dishwashers and pretty soon I am discontent and just plain mad at my husband because he won't consent to going into debt to install a dishwasher.

And so, God is sovereign. And good. And desires better for me than I want for myself. So, I have no choice but to believe that it is good for me to depend more fully on God as I deal with my sin of discontent. And sloth (because I really just want life to be easier on me). And so, it is at my kitchen sink that I regularly meet with God to crucify my flesh and depend on the power of His spirit to do the dishes CHEERFULLY. Where in your house do have your tent meetings?

Comments

Let's see..there's the kitchen for me, also, most days, (since I don't particularly like to cook). Or it might be the laundry room on another, having to clean the toilet another, dusting another, mopping the kitchen another, and the list goes on! My perspective is off! Then I remember scripture also: Phi 2:14 "Do all things without grumbling or questioning"; Phi 4:8 "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." When I change my viewpoint to match God's and instead thank Him that I have a beautiful home to keep clean, have food to eat and a husband to pick up after etc. I rejoice instead or grumble. Love you, Momsie

Popular Posts