a day of reckoning...

It's time I acknowledged it. I'm getting older. Big surprise there. We all are, actually. But some of us are better at self deception than others. You would have thought that when I became a mother I would start to feel all grown up. But noooooo. All it did was make me constantly look over my shoulder for someone to tell me that it was time to give the baby back and stop playing house. This summer, since I have a toddler for the first time and needed an activity to wear her out each day, we joined our local YMCA. As an added bonus, a couple of my friends are members AND there is a gym and work out classes. And there is a pool for the rugrat.

Today I met my friend for a yoga clas. My very first ever. And, I am already sore. I am not a stranger to excercise, I run 3 to 4 miles at least 3 times a week (always shooting for more, but the bed is soooo cozy!). So, I am surprised that I am already feeling it. I've always steered clear of yoga because it wasn't high impact enough for me. I'm a cardio junkie. Back to my reckoning...

First of all, my body did not like yoga because my joints are stiff and I have a bad back. I can usually ignore this fact, but when I am holding my toes, suspending my leg, and then extending it as far to the outside of my body as I can... let's just say I became painfully aware (pun intended) of my aching joints. And my lack of balance. Having my friend there to giggle at my attempts did not help me either, except to make me feel young again (awww).

But the true reckoning came when we sojourned to the pool after our work out. My friend's 7 year old son found an abandoned water gun. The "original" kind. Small, not those super soaker types. He filled it up and had fun squirting me when I was pretending not to look. After a couple of minutes he asked me, "Ms. Sarah, had they invented water guns yet when you were little?" Thanks, G-man!

Comments

Dolly said…
I found your blog through Shannon's (wondergirl) I think I have met you a couple of times. We go to Trinity. Anyway, Mara told me this story today at church. Cute! I'll have to go to yoga with ya'll sometime. As soon as I get this basketball outta my abdomen that is.... :)

Popular Posts