food I make...

So, I'm a geek. I love, love, love to be in the kitchen. I love, love, love to eat too. If we had the money, we'd totally be foodies. But, alas, I have neither the money nor the metabolism to support such a habit.

But, to satisfy this love, I like to make as many things as I can from scratch. I've recently taken up making our bread. I got the recipe from Femina. Check it out and search for "Childhood Bread". Frequently, at dinner I will slice a couple of pieces and serve it with butter and honey. This is a huge hit with Emory! We also use it for sandwiches now. It is a super easy recipe that would only be easier if a.) I had a Kitchen Aid mixer and 2.) had more than one loaf pan. I currently only have one loaf pan with a recipe that makes 4 large loaves, this makes the process a little longer than it has to be.

I make our baby food when there is a little one in the house. I get to prepare foods like mango, papaya, advocado, squash, and other such foods that no one in the house will eat besides the baby. It makes me happy to have them around, the fun foods, that is. And, I get to experiment with combinations this way. I am so totally addicted, that I even make our rice cereal. This saves us quite a bundle, I might add.

But, my new favorite obsession is homemade yogurt. I found a stupid-easy recipe HERE. If you scroll down a bit you can find ways to thicken it up and make a vanilla batch. I personally use the unflavored gelatin to thicken it, and I chose to make every batch vanilla and then add fruit to a single serving via my mini-chopper. This makes for delectable flavors like strawberry-vanilla. YUM!

Today for snack, Emory had a smoothie that was just the perfect size for a tyke. I took 3/4 cup frozen fruit (anything works! you can even cut up banana and freeze it yourself for this purpose... makes for great baby teethers too) and blend with 1/2 cup milk. I did actually use skim since it was all we had in the house. Emory sucked it down and asked for more.

Comments

Nate and Molly said…
wow! I totally admire you for cooking from scratch AND having 2 small children. I try to make most things from scratch, as well, but I'm sure I have a lot more time than you do! Homemade bread is my personal favorite, too!
Olivia said…
I just got a KitchenAid mixer, so I'll have to check out that bread recipe. I'm on a baking high! I really like to cook and eat, too. But I'm right there with you on the no money or metabolism part! ha ha :)

Popular Posts