Food...

I love food. Anyone who knows me even a little can tell. I also love to cook... I suspect the two go hand in hand... for me, at least. I also love cookbooks. I'm that type of cook who is always trying something new. Our "rotation" of meals I prepare is about a year long. My husband has to specifically request that we have something again "soon" if he really likes it. Cooking new and fun recipes is a challenge that I enjoy.

Having said all of that... I have an aweome new cookbook. Our church puts out one of the best cookbooks I've ever owned. Due to popular demand, my friend Aimee just recently spearheaded the task of putting together another cookbook from the ladies in our church. I have been sooooo looking forward to meal planning from this cookbook! I had to finish out the meals I had already planned and bought supplies for in the last 2 weeks before I could begin cooking from my new cookbook. However, tonight was the first meal in our new rotation that included recipes from our new cookbook (how many times will I use the word "cookbook" in this post? sheesh...)

Tonight's menu was chicken and rosemary quiche with walnut and gorgonzola sauteed aspargus. My hubby is NOT a fan of quiche... he calls it girly food. But since this has chicken in it (translation = meat) I gave it a whirl. He LOVED it. The asparagus recipe actually calls for feta, but once again, in order to please the man of the house, I used gorgonzola instead which has a creamier taste than feta. He liked it as well. I was surprised since it was what I would consider a "froo froo" meal.

Here are the recipes I used (for those of you who own the actual cookbook, note the changes I've made). As I find others that I use and we all enjoy, I'll post those as well.

Chicken and Rosemary Quiche
1 deep dish pie crust
1 c. cooked chicken
1 c. shredded swiss
1/2 c. chopped onion
4 eggs
1 and 1/2 c. half and half
1 tsp. dried rosemary or 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Layer chicken, cheese, and onion in pie crust. Whisk eggs until frothy. Add half and half, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes. Turn heat down to 350 and cook for another 30 minutes or until "set".

Asparagus sauteed with walnuts and gorgonzola
1 bunch asparagus
4 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1 or 2 oz. gorgonzola

Roast walnuts in 1 tbsp. butter over md. high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from pan. Melt remaining butter and sautee asparagus for 4 minutes or until crisp tender. Place asparagus in serving bowl and top with walnuts and gorgonzola. (Can also use feta or blue cheese, depending on preference.)

Comments

Mosshouse said…
This is such a great idea to share what you cooked! Also, Little Philip has not eaten dinner the last two nights because he's been mad at us. If he doesn't eat, he goes to bed. And he does, with book in hand, stubborn as ever. It's not just Emory!

Popular Posts