rainy days..

Usually I hate 'em, but today I am loving staying in and playing with my girl. Maybe it's because I feel like I haven't seen her in days. I've been a little under the weather and her daddy took over for the better part of the last 3 days. He did work yesterday, but since I had a migraine we were in survival mode and I don't remember much of the day. I don't get migrianes very often so I really haven't learned how to function when I have one. Let's pray that I never have to learn!

I have a funny Emory quirk that I wanted to share. Like a lot of other toddlers, mine is a paci addict. We used to only use it at bedtime and at naps and it lived in the crib. However, in the fall she got croup and asked for her "abee" so we gave it to her. I am a sucker for whatever makes a child comfy when they are sick. I grew up with very non-sympathetic parents when we sick. My mom is a former ICU nurse and my dad and is diagnostic radiologist. If you ever complained about not feeling good, you were subjected to a lecture on REALLY sick people. While it is true that I've never suffered a debillitating illness such as cancer, as a kid when you feel crummy you really need your mom's sympathy and comfort. At least, I firmly believe so. When my girl is sick she gets (within reason) whatever she wants and lots of cuddles.

So,now Emory asks for a paci periodically throughout the day. As long as we are home, I don't mind. My only objection to pacis is in regard to speech developent, so we try to keep tabs on paci usage for that reason. As long as we have "conversations" during the day, I am not worried about it. We have a box in her room that has almost 16 pacis in it. Where they all came from, I have no idea. But they are there nonetheless. She loves her pacis so much that if I need her occupied for about 20 minutes or so, I can put her in her crib with the box and she will try out each one. It's really cute. Recently, it has become "necessary" to not only have a paci in our mouth, we also want to hold one in our hand as we play.

So, we've begun telling her "Just one paci" when she asks for a "feeler". I'm at least attempting to keep the addiction in hand :). So now, when Emory "needs" a paci she will find us, hold up one index finger and say, "on pappy?". SO CUTE! When will the paci fairy visit the Skocelai household? I have no idea. Before she arrived I had firm convictions about the time frame of when my child should be paci-less. I think it was around the first birthday. She is now 16 months old and we have no plans to get rid of it yet. This falls into the category of Things I Never Thought I'd Let My Kid Do. What things do you let our kids get away with that you never saw yourself allowing? Or, are you all better mothers with stronger convictions that I? Come on, 'fess up!

Comments

The Whelans said…
Jackson still has a "pa" but it's going bye-bye on his second birthday in a couple of weeks. Luke didn't become completely potty trained until 1 month ago. And on trips from Virginia to Atlanta, they both can have as many lollipops as they want! Oh, and we use a DVD player for those trips as well! Never say never cuz you'll be humbled later! =)
Mosshouse said…
Does letting your son eat an entire crate of blueberries count?
And then unleashing his intestinal terror on the daycare the next day?

Popular Posts